Honda Earth Dreams Technology – A Global InitiativeJun 19th, 2014
Honda is committed to bringing drivers efficient, affordable, and high performance vehicles that have a minimal impact on the environment. In 2011, they introduced Earth Dreams Technology (EDT), a next generation set of technological advancements that continue to deliver on those commitments to this day with each new vehicle.
When Earth Dreams Technology was announced, more than two years ago, Honda laid out the key features that would result from the advancements:
- A gasoline engine which realizes top level driving performance and fuel efficiency
- A compact diesel engine which realizes the world’s lightest body, top of class acceleration performance and fuel efficiency
- Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) which combines at a high level the fun of driving and fuel efficiency
- A two-motor-hybrid system which realizes top of industry efficiency
- A high efficiency, high output electric SH-AWD hybrid system which combines superior driving and environmental performance
- A compact, high efficency electric powertrain for EVs
In some cases, these technological advancements are being implemented in other arms of the Honda Motor Company across the world, but we’ve already started seeing some of these improvements in Canada. The 2013 Accord was the first model available in Canada that incorporated EDT via a 2.4L, 4-cylinder engine and the manufacturer’s first Continuously Variable Transmission. The car also featured Eco-Assist and direct fuel injection, leading the 2013 model to its best fuel economy ever, at 5.5L/100KM highway and 7.6L/100KM city.
Earth Dreams Technology has been incorporated into other vehicles since the 2013 Accord, with CVTs being available in the CR-Z, 2015 Fit, recent Civics and Accords, and hybrid versions of other popular models arriving in 2014. Future vehicles from the company are also slated to incorporate various aspects of the Earth Dreams Technology, notably the CVT and Eco-Assist features.
The ultimate goal of Earth Dreams Technology is to achieve top-of-industry fuel efficiency for every category by the end of 2014 and also reduce CO2 emissions for all products sold worldwide by 30% (relative to emission figures from 2000)
We’re excited to see Honda’s commitment to the environment put into action through the vehicles we know and trust. And with the advancements that have already been made in fuel efficiency, we know those goals are easily attainable.
To learn more about EDT, check out the original news release from Honda Worldwide